Tire Rack has joined with the non-profit BMW CCA Foundation to bring the Tire Rack Street Survival® teen driving program to San Diego! The primary emphasis of Tire Rack Street Survival is a “hands-on” driving experience in real-world situations! We use your own car to teach you about its handling limits and how you can control them.
The school's aim is to reduce deadly car crashes involving teenagers by providing them a controlled setting where they can gain invaluable experience in car control, all with a knowledgeable coach always at their side helping them to understand how important experience is over guessing when the unexpected happens on the road. The volunteers gladly give of their time and talents to help our most valuable resource, young people, gain experience that will allow them to make educated decisions when driving, rather than guessing what to do and whether they, their passenger or others sharing the road with them, will live or die.
The students will become more observant of the traffic situation they find themselves in. They will learn to look far enough ahead to anticipate unwise actions of other drivers. As the students master the application of physics to drive their cars, they will make fewer unwise driving actions themselves. They will understand why they should always wear their own seat-belts, and why they should insist that their passengers wear seat-belts, too!
- Primary emphasis of the school is a "hands-on" driving experience in real-world situations.
- Driving is done in the student's own car to teach him/her about its handling limits and how to control them.
- Qualified coaches are in the car with the student throughout the entire day.
- The course is wet down (in part) to allow the student to experience "mistakes" at a very slow speed. In this class, mistakes are learning experiences.
- Challenging driving courses are created in a controlled area to allow the student to experience abnormal car behavior and then teach him/her how to handle the new situation.
- This is not a course for learning how to drive at high speeds. Safety and car control are the objectives.
When: April 7, 2013, 8:00 AM- 4:30 PM
Where: Qualcomm Stadium, West Lot
Cost: $75 per student
Licensed or permitted drivers from 15 through 21 are welcome.
Students must present a photocopy of their valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and the original signed copy of the Minor Waiver (if under 18). The Minor Waiver may be downloaded at: www.streetsurvival.org/waiver-up.pdf
Registration is available starting mid February, but don't wait because there is a limit of 36 students and the school typically fills up quickly. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.